Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rev. Lester Chisum

"Precious Memories, How they Linger..."

This week, I drove hundreds of miles out of my way to see dear brothers and sisters in Christ in my adopted state of Arkansas. Here I am with one of my mentors, Reverend Lester Chisum. He celebrated his eighty-fifth birthday last Saturday, and he's still going strong. He yet preaches four or five times a week, sings, and plays bluegrass gospel on his banjo. His father, Tommy, was my dearest friend.

Every Fourth of July, Reverend Chisum holds a nine-day campmeeting under his pole-barn tabernacle, in a cow pasture, that's attended by more than a thousand people from a half dozen states. They come to his remote, mountain place by cars, trucks, buses and RV's, and they stay in campers and tents. This real old-fashioned campmeeting has spawned nine other campmeetings in different places.

Here I am seated with Lily Vanderpool (right), the prayer-warrior who prayed me into God's kingdom. Lily is eighty-six and going strong. She yet prays for me. Her daughter (left) lives in Missouri.

I told Lily and Lester that they are partly responsible for SEAL America. Everywhere I go I carry a deposit they gave me.

I have a history, and I'm making history -- you can make history, too. Connect with SEAL America.

Posted by Picasa